Thursday, January 14, 2010

Welcome to the nuthouse, David.


Alberta blogger and journalist David Climenhaga learns the hard way the value of the DELETE key:

NOTE: An anonymous commentator, who seems to want to carry on several unpleasant, personal and usually off-topic conversations with others through comments to this particular post, complains that I have spiked some of his remarks. Well, indeed I have. “Didn’t know you were so censorious,” he observes crankily. Well, I am. And, what’s more, arbitrary and whimsical about it! But then, it's my blog, and I'll maintain decorum if and when I feel like it. Or not. Just so that readers can see what I am shielding my other commentators from, I will include a short passage from this person’s last post to me: “Screw you, Dave, for censoring my comments. If you can’t beat/debate ’em, delete ’em, eh? I’ll be sure never to post here again, and will work to get word out on your blog, as well as work to politically undermine your union gig. Oh yeah, Mr. Censor – fuck you.” Ah, the perils of prominence! Oh well, as Dear Oscar (or someone) said: “Better to be spoken of badly than not to be spoken of at all.” Speaking of which, I was mildly taken aback at shots taken by readers at Danielle Smith's hair-do. My first thought was, "Would you make that comment if she were a man?" Actually, upon consideration, my view is that this is more a sign of the times than an indication of entrenched sexism. By that I mean, back in the day when men wore their hair longer, they too could expect a certain number of jibes at their tonsorial choices. I clearly recall remarks of this type being directed at Pierre Trudeau, and I understand the same abuse was directed at Julius Caesar, although, old as I am, I didn't actually observe the latter’s haircut personally. Now that we all trim our balding pates to within a quarter inch of our skulls, there's just not that much to say, is there? Still, let's assail or support Ms. Smith for her ideas, not her haircut, which looks fine to me. DJC

"An anonymous commentator, who seems to want to carry on several unpleasant, personal and usually off-topic conversations with others through comments to this particular post, complains that I have spiked some of his remarks."

You shouldn't even have to guess.

No comments: