Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Sometimes you find good advice in the darndest places.


Stephen Taylor of the Blogging Tories has some timely advice:

Lately we've been hearing a lot about the disgraceful and questionable acts of a very small (and extreme) minority that unfortunately end up tarnishing the good standing of a community at large.

To attribute the actions of a handful of radicals to the behaviour of an entire group of people is, by definition, prejudice, stereotyping, and unbecoming of the liberal society in which we find ourselves.

Hear, hear, Stephen. So I'm sure it's just a matter of time before you tell the rest of your BT colleagues to shut the fuck up when it comes to criticizing the entire Reuters news agency for the actions of a single photographer.

Or do you just talk the talk?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose I should make a show of fairness and congratulate Stephen Taylor for making a sensible point.

It's taken them long enough, though. My big complaint has been, for four years now (triggered by how aghast I was at the circus of public discourse leading up to and enabling the Iraqi invasion) that conservatives weren't being more critical and confrontational with their extremists.

Used to be I could talk to conservatives; now, I find most of them irritating in the extreme.

CC said...

ti-guy writes:

"Well, I suppose I should make a show of fairness and congratulate Stephen Taylor for making a sensible point."

Not really. You'll notice that Taylor's post is written in the context of BT member "Right Girl" and her asinine contribution over at the Western Standard.

So, rather than Taylor nobly presenting a general, bi-partisan proposal, he's doing it purely out of self-interest. As soon as the "Right Girl" dust-up blows over, it'll be back to business as usual, with the BTs using any example, no matter how tortured, to blast Lefties as an entire demographic.

If the BTs are one thing, it's predictable. And sleazy. That, too.

Anonymous said...

Well, I did it was a "show of fairness." In any case, I just found out I've been banned from Stephen Taylor's blog....!!

...I can't remember if I've ever even commented there. I certainly don't read his blog.

*tsk* Such censorship...