Sunday, March 13, 2005

Story of "fake" Saddam capture starting to smell.


Having spent a little time bouncing around the net, I'm getting the impression that this recent claim of Saddam's "fake" capture is pretty much a crock. While there are literally thousands of sites that are reporting the story, the wordings are so similar that one suspects they all derive from the same source, so just the sheer number of reportings really means nothing.

I'm seeing arguments on both sides, but there's one argument that, while it sounds trivial, really hit home. The story at the link above referred to the source as an "ex-Marine" and "Ex-Sgt." and, from what I've heard, you're never an "ex-Marine". Once a Marine, always a Marine, or so the saying goes.

So, until I hear some compelling evidence to make this story more believable, I think I'm just going to file it under "Probable Nonsense". At least for now.

AFTERTHOUGHTS: Given that I haven't seen any more corroboration for this story, and if we assume that it really was just a hoax, one has to ask the obvious question: What was the point? It's not as if there was any benefit to the hoaxer (at least not that I can see). So, what reason would someone have for fabricating a story like this? Thoughts?

4 comments:

Larix said...

Yah at http://icasualties.org/oif/
I couldn't find anything to back up his claim that a US Marine of Sudanese origin was killed on December 12th 2003 in Tikrit. In fact there has been no reported deaths of Marines in Tikrit for the entire war. Although it is possible the part of a US military cover up concerning Saddam's capture. Wouldn't put it past them.

Its never a good idea to rely on something which is based on a single uncollaborated source although the Bushies seem to love doing that.

Anonymous said...

What bothers me most about this situation is that when first told of the possibility that the story of Saddam's capture fed to us may be false, so many of us were not surprised. Is this a normal reaction? I mean, the "what else is new" part is getting pretty old. Yay for deliberate misinformation!

Anonymous said...

I like the story that Saddam was captured by The Kurds and sold to The Americans better then this one

CC said...

Yeah, that's pretty disgusting ... I posted something and, after doing more checking, realized I was probably wrong and retracted my claim. Is that, like, a totally asshole thing to do or what?

I'm not surprised you're amused by the concept; I suspect you don't recognize it.